Learn to Sail
DISCOVER SAILING PROGRAMS ARE BACK – SUMMER REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN!!!
Free sailing! We provide short sailing sessions for all ages starting from as young as 4yrs right through to Adults. Get a taste for how fun sailing really is! Keep your eye for upcoming Discover Sailing Days.
We also offer a FREE sailing experiences with some of our members as part of our Wednesday twilight sailing! Further information on the Wednesday twilight sailing is on our website HERE or, contact the RGYC office at [email protected], and we will find you a boat to sail on!
For further information about Discover Sailing you can visit the national website by clicking HERE
The main accredited introductory kids sailing course recognised by Australian Sailing targeted for ages 7 – 12, plus the Tiny Tackers for ages 4 – 7. Tackers is a great way to develop children’s life skills such as communication, self reliance, team work, problem solving and self confidence while having heaps of fun! There are two options detailed below if you wish to enroll a child into a tackers program.
- Friday evenings during the sailing season October to April throughout the school term.
- A Week long full day School Holiday program which is offered every school holiday except for the the June/July winter holidays.
OutThere Sailing is the ideal way to have fun and get active on the water. This new program aimed at 12-17 year olds who would like to try sailing and/or stand up paddle boarding. On top of these, there are also fun powerboat and virtual reality experiences along the way. The aim of the program is to have fun, spend time with friends and learn new skills. All OutThere Sailing programs are delivered by qualified Australian Sailing Instructors.
RGYC have a variety of Learn to Sail experiences in small ‘Dinghy’ sailboat or larger ‘Keelboat’ that range from a 2 hour introduction to a 20+ hour course. There are two main sailing skill sets to develop in the form of helming and crewing. Ideally getting a balance between both is great but if you would prefer to do one over the other there is plenty of ways to have fun. RGYC Sailing courses will also focus on the social element of a club environment, simply enjoying time spent with peers whether that be on the water, on the beach or in the clubhouse.
- Dinghy – A smaller boat usally sailed by 1 or 2 people and is launched off the beach or from a ramp. A dinghy has no keel and is a great way to learn to sail, everything is very simple, easy set up and are light to handle. At RGYC we use Pacer dinghies for our courses.
- Keelboat – Is larger than a dinghy and has a weighted keel under the hull (body of the boat) which helps prevent it from capsizing. They are sailed by a skipper (the instructor) and crew, this puts participants and instructors on board together facilitating close instruction teamwork. RGYC use a keelboat known as a J24 for sailing our courses.
SheSails is all about enjoying your sailing experience and pathway in a fun, safe and friendly environment. There are a number of options to chose from suitable for all ages and abilities at RGYC, we offer both short and long courses for dinghy and keelboat sailing. If you are not ready to commit to a course there is a SheSail experiences offered on set days or you can request a booking to suit you if you have a group of 3 or more. RGYC also offer Discover Sailing days which are free short sailing experiences open to the public (please see details above).
Group sessions are a great platform for team building exercises, a fun social outing and safe way to experience sailing under the guidance of a qualified instructor. RGYC are an experienced provider of group sessions and cater for;
- Corporate/private team building sessions or packages catered for special celebrations such as end of year/holiday parties.
- Youth and adult community groups as come and try sailing experience or a learn to sail program
- Primary and secondary school sessions as come and try sailing experience or a learn to sail program.