JUNIOR & YOUTH (under 18yrs) LEARN TO SAIL PROGRAMS ARE BACK – Summer Holiday REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN!!!
The Australian Sailing “Tackers” program is a designated pathway for young children to get into sailing, named after the sailing term Tacking, which is when you change direction in a boat.
The pathway starts with short introduction experiences in shallow water, designed to get children from 4 years of age familiar with being on a boat and the water. There are two introduction experience
- Tiny Tackers– For younger kids age 4-8 years old who are not yet confident in a boat or old enough to enroll into a Tackers course.
- Tackers Intro – This experienced to designed for children who are interested in enrolling into the Tackers program but would like to see what sailing is bout before committing to a course.
The next step in the pathway or starting point for some is straight into the junior learn to sail program know as ‘Tackers’ which comprises of three levels, Tackers 1, 2 and 3.
- Tackers 1 – Sailing in pairs while learning the basics of sailing
- Tackers 2– Building on skills learnt in level 1 while being introduced to more technical activities.
- Tackers 3 – Progressing skills learn in levels 1 & 2. In this level children will learn to sail independently and be introduced to the basics of racing ready to progress in Green Fleet.
Continuing on the pathway after tackers 3 will have the children enrolling into the first stage of coaching known as Green Fleet which is an introduction to racing all the while improving skills in a defined fun and engaging way.
Once your Tackers pathway is complete you can transition to the RGYC Off The Beach (OTB) community who coordinate our junior class’s club racing and/or move to the youth Out There Sailing program a non-competitive recreational sailing program where you can continue to learn new skills in a fun and social environment.
For more information about the Tackers sailing program please check out the resources below:
For more details about RGYC Tackers experiences and courses including dates and registrations, please follow the links on the right hand side of the page.