Words by Tony Bull
The state championships for the International 29er Class and International Cadet Class were held at CCSC this past weekend and to say it was good results for RGYC sailors would be an understatement.
In the 29er Class
- 1st Place Mason Mahoney and Matt Purnell
- 2nd Place Elliot Hughes and Khan Harris-Moore
In the Cadet Class
- 1st Ben Garner and Will Garner
- 2nd Lulu Di Sciascio and Chloe Allen
- 3rd Evie McDonald and Jack Jones
- Best under 16 helm Cate McCoy
- Best under 15 helm Josh Garner
- Best under 14 helm Will Farnell
- Best under 13 helm Matilda Groves
- Best first year skipper Charlie Stephens
- 1st handicap Josh Garner and Patrick Fowler
- 3rd Handicap Will Farnell and Isla Fenske
- Best male helm Ben Garner
- Best female helm Lulu Di Sciascio
Plus – so many others in both classes that competed well.
The regatta being at Cairn Curran meant many of the competitors and their families camped in the club grounds or stayed nearby. This led to some great interaction and on and off water activities outside of the racing! The parents from both classes and the local CCSC did a great job of catering for the masses, and I can assure you no one came away hungry (or thirsty for that matter 😊).
Light conditions prevailed and the reservoir made for tricky sailing, no sailing was accomplished on the first day but over the next two days RO Brendan Garner and team did a commendable effort to get in 7 races.
All in all, a very successful regatta weekend on all fronts.